– Can you please introduce yourself in a few words.
I’m a weirdo, New Yorker with a fetish for ground coffee and hot water.
– What’s your story in the coffee industry?
I was working in a cafe in Florida serving Counter Culture and Intelligentsia in 2004. I moved to New York City in 2006. I expanded my relationship with the industry as a barista competitor and certified USBC judge. At the present moment I’m focused on running Everyman Espresso of which I am part owner.
– When did Everyman Espresso open and what is the story behind?
We were established in August of 2007 in the lobby of the Classic Stage Company. The small kiosk was formerly a Ninth Street Espresso. After a year in business Everyman Espresso was struggling to bring in and keep customers. The original working partner was leaving and I was offered the opportunity to earn a stake in the company. I made better coffee and up’d our hospitality game and now Everyman Espresso is thriving.
– What’s your specialty and what makes you different?
There are many ways that I am different- I don’t really fit in. Perhaps my differences give me a unique perspective that allows me to be creative. I like to break boundaries and create spaces that are beyond the average coffee shack.
– What was your first coffee experience?
I grew up drinking diner coffee. My mother was a waitress for many years. That’s where I get my work ethic from- thanks mom. It’s also where I got my obsession with coffee. She loved coffee and it was essential in our house.
– What was your best coffee experience?
I have had so many wonderful experiences with coffee I refuse to pick one.
– Do you prepare coffee at home ? If yes, what method do you use?
Yes, I have a chemex at home.
– How do you like your coffee? Black, sugar and milk, iced, vietnamese style,…?
I like my coffee many ways, but I don’t like sugar in coffee. Sometimes I put half and half in my filter coffee.
– How would you qualify yourself as coffee drinker (occasional, heavy, addict…)?
Addict- but I can stop whenever I want to!
– Have you always been into the coffee industry? If not, what was your previous job?
Last job before coffee was a bingo hall attendant. B7!
– Do you have another passion or a hobby besides coffee?
Not really this consumes me.
– What other place would you recommend, anywhere in the world (coffee or not)?
I’d recommend going to New Zealand just go all over it’s beautiful and the coffee is pretty good everywhere.
– What is/are your favorite website(s) to get information about coffee?
I’m mostly interested in gossip so…Sprudge.com
– What would you say to people who don’t know much about coffee?
Hi, would you like to put this delicious coffee in your mouth? Yes? Good idea. If you want to know where it came from and why it’s so good I can tell you. If not that’s fine too.