– Can you please introduce yourself in a few words.
Hi, I’m Alessio Vabres, head barista at Bar Vabres, I’m a coffee enthusiast specially when it comes to specialty coffee. I’m a dynamic young man, and I love to share my passion for coffee.
– What’s your story in the coffee industry?
Ever since I was 18 I worked at Bar Vabres, step by step I became more and more passionate about the coffee industry and from there I went to discover this fantastic world.
– When did Caffetteria Vabres open and what is the story behind?
Bar Vabres was opened in 1969 by my grandfather, from a classic neighborhood bar, it has evolved more and more into a modern coffee shop. My father already had a particular taste for coffee and 2014 was definitively a turning point for me, combining passion and studies.
– What’s your specialty and what makes you different?
I believe that my specialty is determination and consistency, and above all the approach with the customer that is for me not only a source of business but also a hospitality experience allowing me to share my passion: coffee
– What was your first coffee experience?
My first experience was when I was still at school, during the summer holidays when helping my dad at the bar.
– How/when have you discovered about specialty coffee?
I discovered the specialty coffee when after a training course with Davide Cobelli, I immediately enrolled in a competition for Italian selections and I used specialty coffee. It was in 2014.
– What was your best coffee experience?
My best experience with coffee has been and continues to be the beautiful world that I opened up to. Having met so many people through this passion of mine is a fantastic thing.
– Do you prepare coffee at home ? If yes, what method do you use?
Home is the only place where I do not make coffee. I leave it to my wife. Coffee with Moka and of course specialty coffee ahhahah.
– How do you like your coffee? Black, sugar and milk, iced, vietnamese style,…?
The coffee methods that I prefer are: espresso in the morning and the filter coffee in the afternoon. Black coffee only.
– How would you qualify yourself as coffee drinker (occasional, heavy, addict…)?
I’m a coffee addict there’s no better word to describe it ahha.
– Have you always been into the coffee industry? If not, what was your previous job?
Since I finished my studies I have always been in the coffee industry. I do not know any other job besides the coffee industry.
– Do you have another passion or a hobby besides coffee?
Another passion besides coffee is good eating and good drinking.
– What other place would you recommend, anywhere in the world (coffee or not)?
Last year I was in New York and it’s a place I’d recommend regardless of coffee.
– What is/are your favorite website(s) to get information about coffee?
I read: Socratic Coffee, Barista Magazine and European Coffee Trip.
– What would you say to people who don’t know much about coffee?
I would say first of all to try to understand what is behind a simple cup of espresso… be curious about the supply chain from the plant to the cup.