– Can you please introduce yourself in a few words.
I’m Jaantje, 26 years old, living in Antwerp and working in Brussels. Perfectionist, coffee lover and creative soul.
– What’s your story in the coffee industry?
At first I started working in a more commercial bar, as I was still learning everything there was to know about specialty coffee. It’s a very tricky bussines to be part of, when you have little experience. But besides the little experience, I for sure had a lot of passion. So I started doing courses, going to bars, reading books. After one year I competed for the Belgian Latte art Championship, and I won. After this championship, I started to be in the picture. Funny part is, I never was interested in latte art, but it gave me the upportunity to prove myself.
– What’s your specialty and what makes you different?
What always interested me the most, was hand brewed coffee. If it would only be about espresso, I would probably not even work in this bussines. I just finished my professional brewing course, and would love to become an AST one day.
– How/when have you discovered about specialty coffee?
I never drank coffee when I was younger. I only drank tea, cause I hated the bitterness and burned taste it left on my tongue. While I was studying in England, I had a Norwegian friend who took me to this specialty coffee bar and ordered me a clever dripper. I didn’t really have any expectations, but from the moment I had my first sip until we left the bar I couldn’t stop talking about the taste I experienced in my cup. Frankly, I was really upset that no one ever told me, coffee could also be something else then the burned cup I once tasted at home.
– What was your best coffee experience?
When visiting Norway, I once had a cup of filtered coffee that tasted like pure blueberry jam.
– Do you prepare coffee at home ? If yes, what method do you use?
Every morning before work, I make a V60.
– How do you like your coffee? Black, sugar and milk, iced, vietnamese style,…?
Black FOR SURE. Usually I make a V60, but Chemex or Clever Dripper I like too.
– How would you qualify yourself as coffee drinker (occasional, heavy, addict…)?
During the morning I’m definitely an addict, cause I can’t wake up without my cup of coffee.
– Have you always been into the coffee industry? If not, what was your previous job?
I studied photography, but got to know about specialty coffee during my studies. So I never really had an other vision of my future besides coffee.
– Do you have another passion or a hobby besides coffee?
I am a creative soul, always looking for ways to express myself.
Lately I’m painting and writing a lot.
– What other place would you recommend, anywhere in the world (coffee or not)?
Jacobsen Og Svart is a coffee bar in Trondheim, Norway. In this bar I had several cups of coffee that blew my mind.
– What is/are your favorite website(s) to get information about coffee?
I never really was the type of girl looking for stuff online. I spent more time experimenting or talking about coffee with friends or colleagues.
– What would you say to people who don’t know much about coffee?
One day you’ll love it.