– Can you please introduce yourself in a few words.
I am Tony, one of the owners & creator of Deep, a coffee shop and roasting facility based in Marseille, as well as music producer and label owner & book publisher ( https://www.dukesdistribution.com ) under my artist name Grant https://soundcloud.com/grant-la-1
– What’s your story in the coffee industry?
Fell in love with the product and culture surrounding coffee when living in Brooklyn, New York, and just dived in that world and tried to get the most knowledge as possible with the goal to one day open up my space.
– When did Deep Coffee Roasters open and what is the story behind?
It opened in April 2017 and is the result of a collaboration between my partners Davin and Guillaume, a very old friend of mine and restauranteur. Our goal is to help put the coffee culture on the map in Marseille.
– What’s your specialty and what makes you different?
We just try to roast & serve the best quality of coffee we can, in a relaxed atmosphere, improving our skills day after day as we share our knowledge with people curious to know what they are getting in there cup.
– What was your first coffee experience?
It’s hard to say but on a global scale, it was being exposed to high quality coffee at almost every street corner in Williamsburg Brooklyn, where I was living that got me at the time.
– How/when have you discovered about specialty coffee?
I would say 5 years ago I started to get curious why coffee tasted so much better in some places rather than others.
– Do you prepare coffee at home ? If yes, what method do you use?
Yes, I usually use a V60 or Kalita Wave as I have the privilege to ride down to my shop to brew myself a proper espresso.
– How do you like your coffee? Black, sugar and milk, iced, vietnamese style,…?
Black, iced or both.
– How would you qualify yourself as coffee drinker (occasional, heavy, addict…)?
Every ay, several times a day, I think I can confess my addiction at this point.
– Have you always been into the coffee industry? If not, what was your previous job?
Working in the music industry my whole life, coffee creeped up on me only 4 years ago on a more professional level.
– Do you have another passion or a hobby besides coffee?
Music, Thai boxing, Surf, motorcycles and branding design.
– What is/are your favorite website(s) to get information about coffee?
Sprudge, daily coffee news, perfect daily grind.
– What would you say to people who don’t know much about coffee?
I often say that the paradox about coffee is that it is such a common daily consumed drink on one hand, but at the same time its complexity is totally unknown to the majority of people who drink it.