– Can you please introduce yourself in a few words.
Coffee freak. Punk entrepreneur. But also father and husband.
– What’s your story in the coffee industry? / When did Caffenation open and what is the story behind?
In 2013 I wanted to rewrite Antwerp coffee history.
Now we just elarged the scale.
– What’s your specialty and what makes you different?
We have more singles per year than most other specialty roasters. We work very much ‘in season’ and we are specialized in african coffees. Because we are old school barista’s from origin we are not going to fly too easily, but stay with both feet on the ground.
– What was your first coffee experience?
Normal coffee experience was as a child when we liked to glide sugar cubes along the spoon into the cup.
Specialty coffee experience: one big eye opener was a Kenya on the clover at Estate Coffee in Copenhagen, in the days Klaus Thomsen won this machine at the WBC. Since that day I see coffee as a fruit.
– How/when have you discovered about specialty coffee?
When the barista championships changed the ball game. Probably also 10-12 years ago…
– What was your best coffee experience?
My first trip to origin in Ethiopia, 8 years ago.
And, oh yes, the first WAC won with Jeff in Milan 2012. Everybody brought his/her own Kenya coffee. We brought 2 coffees along; the Karimikui and the Thunguri. Normally we would go with the first one, but changed around 3 o’clock the night before the tournament to Thunguri. And had unanimous pro votes in every round! That day we received the confidence that we could bit by bit set our feet next to the big names in the specialty industry.
– Do you prepare coffee at home ? If yes, what method do you use?
Kitchen aid 1 liter batch brewer, or Aeropress.
– How do you like your coffee? Black, sugar and milk, iced, vietnamese style,…?
Black!! Ek 43 espresso shots or diluted aeropress filters.
– How would you qualify yourself as coffee drinker (occasional, heavy, addict…)?
Too professional. I’m not addicted and am always analyzing flavors. Can’t really enjoy it at ease.
– Have you always been into the coffee industry? If not, what was your previous job?
Did so many things before. I was 35 starting Caffenation…
– Do you have another passion or a hobby besides coffee?
Travelling, family time, cooking, dog walking, running…
– What other place would you recommend, anywhere in the world (coffee or not)?
The cradle of coffee: Ethiopia
– What is/are your favorite website(s) to get information about coffee?
– What would you say to people who don’t know much about coffee?
If you enjoy it a lot, don’t change anything.