– Can you please introduce yourself in a few words.
My name is Michael Phillips and I am the Director of Training for Blue Bottle Coffee out of Oakland California but I personally am based in Los Angeles. I won the 2010 World Barista Competition as well and that has afforded me the opportunity to travel the world to work with coffee professionals of all sorts.
– What’s your specialty and what makes you different?
I suppose my own personal “specialty” is training baristas to make great coffee and give even better hospitality. What may make me a bit different is that While I truly love the craft of making coffee I don’t make it more precious than the people it is being served too which is a mistake many others in our field make.
– What was your first coffee experience?
Ground coffee out of a can in my mothers kitchen. Smelled great but tasted undrinkable…
– What was your best coffee experience?
Making early morning cappuccinos for me and my old room mates in our old Chicago apartment. Drinking them in our pajamas straight out of bed on a sunday morning, reading the paper and making breakfast. Simply the best.
– Do you prepare coffee at home ? If yes, what method do you use?
Currently I only brew coffee at home and have been using the NotNeutral dripper. Very similar to a Kalita Wave but made out of glass.
– How do you like your coffee? Black, sugar and milk, iced, vietnamese style,…?
Simply black. If I want milk I go to the shop for an espresso and milk drink.
– How would you qualify yourself as coffee drinker (occasional, heavy, addict…)?
– Have you always been into the coffee industry? If not, what was your previous job?
No, I used to work in film on the production side. Horrible business for a person like me….
– Do you have another passion or a hobby besides coffee?
I love motorcycles and have a 1975 BNW R-90/6 that is my reason for living.
– What other place would you recommend, anywhere in the world?
Tokyo. Hands Down. Amazing.
– What would you say to people who don’t know much about coffee?
Don’t listen too much to coffee professionals, just order what you want and enjoy it with friends.